1) You must be currently living in either Richland or Lexington county.
2) To become enrolled in our homeownership program you must attend an application meeting. This is a required step in the application process and is the only way you can receive an application. Application meetings are held throughout the year on an as needed basis.
3) The application process takes approximately 3 months. This is to include time to conduct interviews, assesments, and home visits. If you are interested in attending an application meeting, please fill out the following form and your name will be added to the application meeting notification list.
or you can contact our office at 252.3570 and follow the menu instructions for becoming a Habitat for Humanity homeowner. You will be asked to leave your name, mailing address and telephone number in a special voice-mail box. A postcard will then be mailed to you with the date, time and location of the next application meeting.
4) If you are approved into our program the work begins! Depending on your family size you will do either 350 or 550 hours of service with our organization. These hours must be done in a combination of construction hours and 'other' hours. Your children will have to do hours as well. If your child is older than 6 years of age, they will have to complete anywhere between 10-50 hours. Have no fear, young children are not required to do construction hours.
5) You will be required to attend Family Services classes. These classes meet on the 3rd Tuesday of every month. Click Seminar Topics to see the schedule of classes.
6) After many hours of sweating, fellowshipping, building, and seeing your walls raise you will have a new home!